The possibilities are endless with the ingredients, as long as you have mushrooms, bacon and a few slices of bread. Any combination of mushrooms would work. I like the Swiss Brown button mushrooms from the supermarket but field ones picked fresh are by far the best. If you are feeling indulgent, you can add some cream to make a sauce but it isn't necessary.
- 2-4 slices bread, toasted
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 250gm mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3-4 rashers of bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons herbs (parsley, thyme and rosemary would work)
- 1 onion sliced or chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cream (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a pan, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil on medium heat for a minute. Then add bacon pieces, mushrooms and herbs to pan and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the meantime, toast your bread slices. In pan, season with salt and pepper, then stir in cream and butter if you are using cream. Serve mushrooms on top of buttered toast with a good cup of tea of course!