- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped/crushed
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- handful of green beans finely diced
- 500g beef mince
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato puree or pasta sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2-3 cups penne pasta
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil or parsley to garnish
- Grated tasty or parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat, add oil, garlic, onion, carrot, celery and beans and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until softened but not coloured. Add mince and cook for a further 5 to 7 minutes to lightly brown, break up the mince as it cooks.
Stir in tinned tomatoes, puree and stock or water, and bring to the boil.
Add pasta and simmer for 15 minutes, until pasta is cooked and sauce has thickened. You will have to stir it every few minutes so the pasta doesn't stick together.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil or parsley.
Add some grated cheese on top if you want to.
Easy, delicious and one bag closer to emptying the freezer!