- 4 eggs
- 1 raw egg, whisked
- 500g sausage meat (or 250g beef mince/250g sausage meat)
- 1 Tblsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tblsp. seasoned flour
- 1 handful of freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
Hard boil your eggs and peel the shell off them (see my blog of how to perfectly boil an egg). While your eggs are boiling prepare the meat.
In a large bowl, mix together sausage meat, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned flour, parsley and thyme (if you are using just beef mince because you forgot to buy sausage meat, then you will have to add an egg to bind it all together-but it works fine).
Divide meat mixture into four equal portions & wrap the meat around each hard-boiled egg. Put your whisked egg into a shallow bowl and roll the scotch eggs around in it. This will make your breadcrumbs stick. Then coat each meat-wrapped egg with breadcrumbs.
Now there are two ways you can cook scotch eggs;
- Deep fry them. Fill a saucepan about 1/3 with oil and heat till it bubbles. Deep fry Scotch eggs for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Fry then bake them. Put some butter in a pan and brown off the outside of the eggs. Then bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 15-20mins (this one is better for the size of your ass but they don't end up as golden and crispy).
- wet your hands before you wrap the meat around the egg and then it won't stick to you as badly.
- these are great to serve cold. You cut them into quarters and serve with a dipping sauce, the best is Glass Eye creek wild meat sauce-yum!